for the love of old typewriters

by - March 20, 2012


Two days ago, Brother Number One and I were chatting about everything and nothing, and I mentioned how I wished I could find time to just sit on the computer for a few hours, and just write.
My brother, who is a genius, asked me; "Why not get a typewriter? That way you wouldn't be told to get off the computer, and you could write all you want."

I thought this was a very good idea. But then today, I was on Pinterest, pinning, and I came across a picture of an adorable vintage typewriter. And all I could think was, ohmygosh I want a typewriter so bad.


So guess what my new obsession is? Typewriters. And not those slightly-more-modern plastic ugly ones. I mean real typewriters. Like this one.
credit
This has now escalated to the point of almost...lust. I want a typewriter. I want to learn how to use one and then sit in my room (once I've cleaned it...cough) and sit and write and write all the little and big stories in my head that want to get out. The problem with a computer is, well, internet. I'll hit a minor dead end, and think, oh, I'll just google that, or maybe hang around tumblr or pinterest or polyvore for a while, y'know, for inspiration.
An hour later I'm being told that my allotted amount of computer time was over a long time ago, and I need to do useful things.
Or even if I'm not told to get off. The internet doesn't usually inspire me. It ends up confusing me and then I never get any writing done.

And it's not just the practicality. I'm also being my dreamer head-in-the-clouds self and imagining myself at my desk sipping a cup of black coffee (ew) in a fifties dress with golden light streaming in through the windows. I actually have a thing for the fifties. I love their dresses. 

I wonder, where would one purchase a nice, black and gold typewriter that doesn't cost way more than I can afford (which is almost nothing. I need to get a job. sigh)? I must look into this. You know, once I find my birth certificate and all.

credit
credit
credit
credit
credit
credit
credit
What's your "object of desire?"

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. A type-writer would be so nice! I totally see pleasantry in sitting by that window and typing away. Because of my constantly being on the computer (for school) I've found I actually write better typing than writing out by hand, especially for longer compositions. A type-writer would solve all my problems. And, even though everyone says "just turn off the internet on your computer"...it's still not as romantic as using a real old type-writer.

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. I ♥ comments.

Powered by Blogger.