Recipe: Gallo Pinto

by - April 19, 2011




This is a Latin American meal, that is easy to make, tasty (in my opinion, anyways!) and hearty.
You Will Need:


1 onion, chopped finely
4 cans of black beans
3 teaspoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of butter
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cups of boiled rice
2 teaspoons of salt

In a large skillet or pan, fry the onions and garlic in the olive oil and butter of a medium heat until the onions are soft. Add the beans, and stir them to prevent them from burning. Turn the heat down to low, and add the chili powder and the salt. Once the beans have lost their reddish tint, and the little bit of liquid in the pan isn't runny, stir in the rice. Cover the pan and let it sit for about five minutes, then voila!


The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it can be used as a meal all on it's own, you can eat them with plain tortilla chips, nachos, quesedillas, fried eggs, salsa, or you can even make a wrap with tortilla bread! You can also add things like peppers, spinach, parsley, or anything else you fancy. It's pretty forgiving. 

This is not, however, a recipe for picky eaters. I happen to love it, but most of my siblings hate it. ;)


Enjoy!

God bless!

You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. Mmm, it looks muy delicioso, senorita Gwen! And your siblings don't like it? Por que no?

    We're having an "International Day" at my tutorial on Thursday, and I'm supposed to bring a Mexican or Hispanic dish. I'm making enchiladas. :)

    Elizabeth Rose

    P.S. How is your supposedly unpleasant house guest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muchas Gracias mi amiga! They don't like the beans mainly.

    Oh cool! I've never actually tried making those. But I want to!

    He's pretty good. It's sort of awkward having an almost-stranger in the house 24/7, but he's polite, and kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good! I may be wrong, but methinks I heard he likes reading...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You heard (or read) correctly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google Buzz can drop many hints... as can certain people named Gwenea Binn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha I came on your blog and was like WHAT IS ZIS! but I like it, its very you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! Love the new design!! :)


    ~Liz B

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. I ♥ comments.

Powered by Blogger.